Sunday, April 13, 2008

As I read through The Sound and the Fury, I am constantly amazed. I find the art of writing just as much of a mystery as our human existence. How was Faulker able to do write this – to just sit down and write while actually weaving an intricate web of relationships, conflicts, interactions, literary devices, lessons, images, and so much more? Not to mention that while he was writing this masterpiece, he "learned to read" as well.

Benjy's chapter was the most interesting of them all to me. Once again, Faulkner's writing captivated me. He perfectly captured the personality of a mentally retarded boy. One of the most impressive parts of Benjy's narrative was his unbiased storytelling. Naturally, I would expect someone like Benjy to be like that, but for Faulker to write a story about a dysfunctional and somewhat despicable family from a totally unbiased point of view impressed me. I felt like I was actually being introduced to the family through the eyes of a retarded child. In his introduction, Faulkner said he wrote the rest of the chapters after Benjy's because he thought the book might sell and that it needed more explanation; I agree with Faulkner on this. While Benjy's chapter was definitely the most well-written of the book, Jason's was necessary, in my opinion, to cement everything together.

While Jason's chapter was utterly despicable – what a horrible person – I enjoyed having a break from Quentin and Benjy's stream-of-consciousness narratives. Having a person such as Jason in this book was actually necessary – Faulkner needed a character for which he could lay the lines down, come out and say everything about what was happening without having to disrupt the flow of the other characters. Jason's character nicely contrasts with the other characters in the book to provide the full, 360ยบ view of the Compson family's ruin.

1 comment:

unknown said...

Interesting perspective on Jason. good work.